the "Downside" of "Safety" - Copied post.
Please log in to like, wonder, share and comment!
The #CDC just confirmed a .2% death-rate for #COVID19 ...
For that, we have:
* Added nearly 6 trillion to national debt
* Laid-off or furloughed 50 million workers
* Placed 60 million on food stamps
* Gone from 3.5%to 14.7% unemployment
* Crippled the petroleum industry
* Ruined the tourism industry
* Bankrupted the service industry
* Caused an impending meat and protein crisis
* Threatened, fined, and arrested church leaders
* Exacerbated mental health problems
* Shut down schools and colleges
* Given unbridled power to unelected officials
* Increased suicides higher than COVID deaths
* Delayed surgeries and treatments for profound illnesses
* Infringed upon countless important civil liberties
* Placed 300 million Americans on house arrest
These consequences are largely due to two things:
The first is our view of government as a god that can control Providence and plagues. In our hubris, we increasingly view the government as a deity who can stop acts of nature.
The second is our sniveling, 21st-century commitment to safety. Our desire to be “safe” ruined our fiscal, physical, medical, food, energy, and national security.
Unfortunately there is no vaccine for cultural fragility.
Written by JD Hall / Courtesy of Tara Thralls